Tuesday, April 21, 2009

April's Birding

As some of you are planning to come to the Plover Festival. I thought I would compile a list of what species I have seen so far this month. It has been filled with blizzard conditions, rain, heavy winds, and finally some sunny weather. So here is the list seen in my walks and time at Karval Lake. I have not traveled extensively in my birding and have heard others report species I have not seen yet. I hope that we see them all and more at the festival. It sounds like a great time. I am a new comer to the area and am excited to get my feet wet-so to speak. The birds are listed in the order seen. The last on the list were from this week. (47)



Rough-legged Hawk
Prairie Falcon
Canada Goose
Redhead Duck
American Wigeon
Bufflehead
Canvasback
Double-crested Cormorant
Horned Lark
Mountain Bluebird
Western Meadowlark
Great Horned Owl
Killdeer
Eurasian Collared Dove
Mourning Dove
American Robin
Common Grackle- first of the season
House Finch
European Starling
House Sparrow
Sharp-shinned Hawk
American Crow-first of the season
Red-winged Blackbird
Say's Phoebe
Northern Flicker-first of the season
Rock Dove
American Kestrel
Mountain Plover-first seen, others heard but not identified until now by call.
Burrowing Owl-first of the season, heard male calling in predawn
Vesper Sparrow-first of the season
Brewer's Blackbird
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Golden Eagle
American Avocet
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Mallard
Ruddy Duck
American Coot
Green-winged Teal
Northern Harrier
Loggerhead Shrike
Rock Wren
White Crowned Sparrow
Swainson's Hawk-first of the season
Red-tailed Hawk
Ferruginous Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment